The Minnesota Horse Welfare Coalition’s Equine Castration Program provides funding to 501(c)(3) horse rescues in need.
Steps to receive funding are as follows:
- The rescue must complete the necessary forms to earn a $100 voucher per horse towards each stallion castration from the Unwanted Horse Coalition (UHC) (http://www.unwantedhorsecoalition.org/2017-og-forms/). This must be done (per UHC guidelines), at least 10 days before the castration(s).
- Once the rescue has applied for the UHC voucher program, any 501c3 or Minnesota Horse Council (MHC) certified horse rescue in Minnesota that receives 3 or more stallions can contact Krishona Martinson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-625-6776) to request a castration clinic. Once MNHWC funding is deemed available, the horse rescue provides details on the stallions (number, breed, age, condition, etc.) and the name and contact information for their local veterinarian. They also provide their address, contact information and preferred timeline (minimum of 14 days) for castration.
- Krishona Martinson (University of Minnesota Horse Specialist) contacts the University of Minnesota veterinary students and University of Minnesota veterinarians to see if the timeline and location is suitable for vet student participation. Krishona will contact the local veterinarian to ensure they are agreeable to working with the University of Minnesota vet students and the MNHWC castration program.
- Vet students are able to assist and the local veterinarian is agreeable. Krishona will coordinate (via phone and e-mail) a date and time that works for the rescue, local veterinarian and the vet students. The vet students will be charged with confirming one University of Minnesota equine vet to travel with them to the rescue and assist with the castrations. The vet students are also charged with determining who (vet students) attends the castration clinic. The University of Minnesota equine vet brings necessary reusable castration supplies to assist.
- All drugs, medication and disposable supplies needed for the castration are the responsibly of the local veterinarian. The local veterinarian will be reimbursed for the total remaining cost of the equine castrations (beyond the $100 voucher per horse from the UHC). Discounted rates will be appreciated.
- The local veterinarian submits a bill to the MNHWC (beyond the $100 voucher per horse from the UHC), which will be paid within 30 days. Bills can be e-mailed (email@example.com) or U.S. mailed: Krishona Martinson, University of Minnesota, 1364 Eckles Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108.
- The vet students are unable to assist and/or the local veterinarian is not agreeable to work with the castration clinic. The rescue will then coordinate with their local veterinarian to castrate the stallions.
- The equine rescue will be reimbursed (maximum of $50 per stallion) for the cost of the equine castrations.
- The rescue submits a bill ($50 per stallion) to the MNHWC, which will be paid within 30 days. Bills can be e-mailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) or U.S. mailed: Krishona Martinson, University of Minnesota, 1364 Eckles Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108.
See our full photo gallery at our Facebook Page.
Make a donation: It costs the Coalition approximately $122.00/castration. We are actively seeking donations to fund this important program so we can provide castrations to as many horse owners as possible. You can donate here. Be sure to specify that your donation is for the equine castration clinic.
Individual stallion owners in need of assistance with equine castration should contact the MN Horse Council (http://www.mnhorsecouncil.org/the%20gelding%20project.php) or the Unwanted Horse Coalition (http://www.unwantedhorsecoalition.org/operation-gelding/).
Thank you to everyone who makes our Equine Castration Program a success!