Resources to help horses, horse owners & law enforcement
- Minnesota Hooved Animal Rescue Foundation (Zimmerman, MN)
- Minnesota Retired Racehorse Project (Savage, MN)
- Sundown Horse Rescue (Hugo, MN)
- This Old Horse, Inc. (Hastings, MN)
- Truhaven Ranch (Winsted, MN)
Horse Health and Nutrition
- Horse Body Score (Henneke Body Scoring System, via Univ of KY)
- University of Minnesota Extension — Horse Nutrition
- Cause and Effect – Necessary Care 4 Equines
Feed Assistance Resources
Animal Cruelty Laws
The following links will provide you with information on animal welfare related laws, statutes and codes. After review, if your question remains unanswered, please contact the Animal Humane Society’s Humane Investigations at (763) 489-2236 or online.
The Animal Welfare Act is a federal law that governs the transportation, sale and handling of certain animals. More specifically, it ensures that animals are provided with humane care and treatment during transportation, purchase, sale, housing, care, and handling by persons or organizations using them for research or exhibition purposes or as pets. That includes dealers who sell animals to laboratories, animal exhibitors, carriers, and intermediate handlers, dog and cat breeders, puppy mills, zoos, circuses, roadside menageries, and transporters of animals. It excludes retail pet stores, state and county fairs, livestock shows, rodeos, purebred dog and cat shows, and fairs or exhibitions intended to advance agricultural arts and sciences.
The organization charged with enforcing the AWA is the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), a division of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
A person or organization found in violation of the AWA may face fines and/or imprisonment.
- Cruelty to Animals – Chapter 343
- Pet and Companion Welfare Act – Chapter 346
- Minnesota Exotic Animals – Chapter 346.155
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- The Hoarding of Animal Research Consortium
- National Link Coalition
- ASPCA — Fight Cruelty
- National Animal Abuse Database
- Animal Welfare Research Institute